NEW YORK COMIC CON 2013:
Comixology Kicks Off New York Comic Con With New Guided View Native Titles For The Ultimate Digital Comics Reading Experience
World’s leading digital comics platform celebrates 200 million-download milestone with exclusive new Guided View-authored content, Android Holo app update, collections debut from DC Entertainment, new publisher relationships and an amazing ‘The Walking Dead’ sale
Giveaways, signings and other fan fun galore at the comiXology Javits Center booth
October 9th, 2013 – New York, NY. – ComiXology – the revolutionary cloud-based digital comics platform available across iPhone, iPad, Android, Kindle Fire, Windows 8 and the Web – kicks off New York Comic Con 2013 on a huge roll. The company, which recently surpassed 200 million downloads worldwide, today released a noteworthy slate of Guided View Native-authored comics. Each makes reading digital comics an immersive adventure with every swipe of the finger, or click of a mouse.
Other developments announced this week include a refreshed comiXology app optimized for Android’s latest update; the debut of collections and graphic novels from DC Entertainment; deals with major international publishers, bringing some of the best manga content to French-speaking comiXology fans; an amazing The Walking Dead promotion on the entire series’ digital comics catalog; and a full slate of giveaways, author signings and other fan fun at the comiXology booth (#1928) at New York City’s Javits Center.
The 200 million-download milestone comes less than a year after comiXology hit the 100 million mark, as the pace of new fans discovering the joy of digital comics and the comiXology reading experience gathers steam. Earlier this year, comiXology became the only app to make iTunes’ list of top 10-grossing iPad apps for two consecutive years. January saw the opening of comiXology Europe, which is spearheading international language content acquisition across the continent.
Highlights of an action-packed New York Comic Con week include:
- New Guided View Native Content & Aggregation– Guided View Native enables comic creators to literally immerse fans in their work through a proprietary, made-for-digital, panel-by-panel process powered by comiXology‘s Guided View technology. Fans can download a noteworthy new slate of Guided View Native titles debuting today including Iron Man: Fatal Frontier Infinite Comic #1 (Marvel), Batman ’66 #15 (DC Comics), Grimm: Portland, Wu (Dynamite), Motorcycle Samurai #1 (Top Shelf), Bo Plushy Gangsta #1 (Action Lab), Itty Bitty Bunnies in Rainbow Pixie Candy Land #1 (Action Lab), Molly Danger: Digital #2 (Action Lab), Vamplets: The Nightmare Nursery #2 (Action Lab) with many more and Valiant 8-bit Adventure: Unity! (Valiant) coming soon. Also as of today, comiXology has aggregated the 35+ titles authored in Guided View Native into the comiXology quick links available on all platforms, so finding them is easier than ever.
- Android Holo – Comics fans with Android devices including Amazon‘s Kindle Fire now have even more reasons to love comiXology with today’s release the Android Holo update for the comiXology app. The app takes full advantage of Android’s latest operating system to further enhance the user experience, supporting two much-requested features: comiXology’s High Definition (HD) file format, and Fit-to-Width reading, which optimizes the reading experience relative to device screen size and orientation.
- DC Entertainment collections & graphic novels – On Tuesday, comiXology and DC Entertainment made DC’s extensive line-up of graphic novels and collected editions available for download on comiXology. This expansion in distribution brings bestselling DC Comics and Vertigo titles, including Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Sandman, Y the Last Man and an assortment of DC Comics – The New 52 collections, among many others, to comiXology fans worldwide.
- The Walking Dead – Earlier this week, comiXology launched a weeklong sale on the entire The Walking Dead comic series, celebrating The Walking Dead’s 10th anniversary and the premiere of Season 4 of the AMC series. Through midnight EST on October 14, fans can purchase the first 114 issues of The Walking Dead comic on sale for $.99 each. Volumes 1 through 18 are also available at a reduced price, along with a web-only bundle of The Walking Dead issues 1-114 for only $99. The sale makes for a great time for new fans to jump onboard and catch up – and just in time for the start of Season 4 premiere of The Walking Dead on Sunday, October 13th. Capping off the zombie fun is today’s release of the highly anticipated The Walking Dead issue #115, marking the start of more frequent, bi-weekly releases.
- New International Content – Earlier today, comiXology announced agreements with two major publishers. A new relationship with Viz Media Europe and its French subsidiary, Kazé, will bring Kaze’s extensive library of French language manga content to fans in French-speaking European countries across comiXology’s mobile apps and website. A second, multiyear exclusive deal with Avatar Press, publisher of Garth Ennis’ groundbreaking horror series Crossed, covers English Language single issues.
- Fan Celebration at Comic Con – ComiXology will say thank you to fans visiting its booth (#1928) at New York’s Javits center, with a full slate of signings and exclusive giveaways, including limited edition art cards signed and numbered by creators and free comics galore. Events include a sketch card signing with Joshua Hale Fialkov and Joe Infunari supporting their indie self-publishing hit The Bunker, IDW Publishing’s My Little Pony signings with Katie Cook and Sara Richard, a G.I JOE signing with the legendary Larry Hama, Image Comics bestsellers East of West’s Nick Dragotta and Lazuras’s Greg Rucka and Michael Lark and Doug Braithwaite signing for Valiant’s Unity. A full schedule can be found here.
“It took us three years to hit 100 million comic book and graphic novel downloads and then only one more year to hit 200 million,” said comiXology CEO and co-founder David Steinberger. “It’s great to celebrate this milestone by showcasing today how comiXology keeps on moving the industry forward – whether with new content and our Guided View Native comics, or our continued product updates for Android, new publishers, a massive The Walking Dead sale, and all these great events at our booth. We’ve had a great year in 2013 and it’s not over yet.”
ComiXology has revolutionized the comic book and graphic novel industry by delivering a cloud-based digital comics platform that makes discovering, buying, and reading comics more fun than ever before. ComiXology’s Guided View™ reading technology transforms the comic book medium into an immersive and cinematic experience, helping comiXology become one of iTunes top 10 grossing iPad apps in both 2011 and 2012. Offering the broadest library of comic book content from the top 75 publishers, and including independent creators as well, comiXology will not stop until everyone on the face of the planet has become a comic book fan. A privately held company, comiXology is based in New York City. For more information visit www.comixology.com.