Just a couple of days ago we brought you the story that Warner Bros. had announced that the forthcoming sequel to Batman: Arkham Asylum is now officially titled Batman: Arkham City, and that the game will hit store shelves next fall for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC. Developer, Rocksteady also stated that the game “builds upon the intense, atmospheric foundation of Batman: Arkham Asylum, sending players soaring into Arkham City, the new maximum security ‘home’ for all of Gotham City’s thugs, gangsters and insane criminal masterminds.”
Now, the cool cats over at CVG are reporting some cool details on the story and the changes in gameplay for the sequel. Check them out below!
The sequel is set inside the now “heavily fortified” walls of a sprawling district in the heart of Gotham City, and the game features a brand-new story that “draws together a new all-star cast of classic characters and murderous villains from the Batman universe.” Part of that “all-star” cast includes Cat Woman, Mr. Freeze and Two-Face.
The titular Arkham City appears to have been created by former Mayoral Candidate (and bad guy) Quincy Sharp – who buys and walls off part of Gotham’s slums. Hugo Strange, a psychiatrist obsessed with both stripping Batman of his secret identity and assuming the role of Batman himself is now in charge of Arkham City. The Rocksteady team is aiming for a highly detailed city, on the level of what they did with Arkham itself in the first game.
Batman (You) start Arkham City with all of the gadgets he had at the conclusion of the original Arkham Asylum, in addition to a new trademark smoke bomb. Rocksteady wants to push the “forensics” angle of the first game more, incorporating puzzles that will become more complex as the game goes on.
Batman’s been given a new gadget called the “broadcast analyzer”. The article mentions several broadcasts Bats can listen in on, like the GCPD dispatch and Gotham FM. The main usage here has Batman tuning in to listen to a message left for him by the Joker.
Other Story Details:
- Arkham Asylum and Black Gate Prison are unfit to hold inmates
- Many of the super villains have formed gangs, and taken control of different portions of the city.
- Two-Face plans to execute Catwoman to gain respect of inmates
- The overdose of venom may not be what’s wrong with the Joker
- Oracle is missing, so Alfred is the one in Bruce’s ear
- Harley has a new costume.
Other Gameplay Details:
- You will be able to execute multiple counterattacks simultaneously
- More puzzles
- Side missions now feature in the game
- Gangs roam Arkham City, these are recorded in Batman’s criminal database
- You will interrogate people who work for The Riddler to find Riddler challenges
- Batman can now taunt his enemies via a button press.
- Gadgets can now be used during fights
Batman: Arkham City is slated to hit store shelves for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC next fall.