The latest casting news for the film adaptation of the Edgar Rice Burroughs (also created Tarzan) scifi book series brings Thomas Haden Church, James Purefoy and Mark Strong on board “John Carter of Mars”.
This Disney adaptation has Andrew Stanton at the helm and tells the tale of a Civil War vet who finds himself mysteriously transported to Mars where his involvement with warring races of the dying planet force him to rediscover his humanity. On the cast list already are:
- Taylor Kitsch (Gambit of X-men Origins: Wolverine) in the central role of John Carter
- Lynn Collins (Silverfox of X-men Origins: Wolverine) plays Dejah Thoris, the heir to the throne of Mars’ Helium Kingdom
- Willem Dafoe (Green Goblin of Spiderman 3) plays Tars Tarkas, a brutal and mirthless green Martian warrior, who possesses the ability to feel love and empathy, an unusual characteristic among his savage race.
New additions to the cast will fill these roles:
- Thomas Haden Church (Spiderman 3) will play Tal Hajus, “an ambitious and vicious Thark warrior who is biding his time to be a ruler”
- James Purefoy (Solomon Kane, Rome) will play Kantos Kan, “the captain of the Xavarian, the kingdom of Helium’s grand warship”
- Mark Strong (Kick-Ass) will play Matai Shang, “the ruler of the Thems with godlike status”
Also cast are Samantha Morton, Dominic West, and Polly Walker.
For more coverage on “John Carter of Mars”, check out our stories here: