Director Jon Favreau headed to Comic-Con to work the crowd as he’s done since pimping out the first Iron Man flick but, this time he was there for his upcoming film, Cowboys & Aliens starring Daniel Craig, Sam Rockwell, Olivia Wilde, Paul Dano, Harrison Ford, Keith Carradine, Clancy Brown, Adam Beach, Abigail Spencer, Walton Goggins and David O’Hara.
Favreau announced that he wasn’t filming the movie in 3D, as previous reports have suggested, because 3D movies need to be shot digitally and he felt a western should be shot on film. Favreau shouted to the crowd, “Take the money you save and see it twice!”
Favreau then brought Daniel Craig, Olivia Wilde, Sam Rockwell, Adam Beach, screenwriters Alex Kurtzman and Bob Orci , along with a newcomer to Comic-Con, Han Solo himself – Harrison Ford. Ford hit the stage in handcuffs, escorted by security. It was meant as a joke about forcing Ford to appear on the panel. While he headed to his seat, fans gave Ford a standing ovation and shouted “You shot first!” Ford responded to the crowd’s ovation by saying “I just wanted to make a living as an actor. I didn’t know about this!”
Deadline brings a description of the footage Favreau brought to the Con, check it out below along with the first image from the film.
– An old west town. Craig rides in on a horse, his face looking beaten up. He dismounts, finds an empty-looking house, and peers in the window. Opens the door. Fills a wash-basin with water, and washes his hands.
– There’s a strange, sci-fi style wrist cuff on him. He opens his vest – there’s what appears to be a stab wound. Drinks some whiskey.
– Then a gun is pointed at his head. “Palms to Heaven, friend.” It’s Clancy Brown! Cool. He takes Craig’s gun.
– Craig: “I’ve been shot.” Brown: “Only two types of men get shot: criminals, and victims. Well, which one are ya?” “I dunno.” New scene: Craig in jail, in a cell next to Paul Dano, who spits on him. Craig reaches through the bars and slams Dano’s head into them, hard.
– Craig is taken outside to a paddy-wagon. Shackled to Dano by the wrist. A mob with torches approaches, led by Ford. “I come for my boy, John.” Dano is his kid, it seems, though every time he tries to talk, Ford yells “SHUT UP!” in that growly way he does so well.
– Distant lights appear in the sky. They get closer, then disappear.
– And all of a sudden they open fire with laser weapons. The town erupts in flames. People run.
– Now the wrist device on Craig starts glowing with blue lights. He points it at the sky, and a digital targeting display appears. He fires what is now clearly an alien weapon, and it’s a direct hit. One of the UFOs crashes. (UFO looks a lot like a Cylon Raider from BATTLESTAR GALACTICA). Task achieved, the wrist device shuts itself down.
[Click Image To Blow Sh!t Up]
Cowboys & Aliens is slated to hit theaters on July 29th, 2011.